Saturday, April 12, 2014

Adventure Time!

When saga's and stories are told about adventures, they are usually about some brave, heroic hero doing battle with great enemies, nemesis's, giant demons or ant infested garbage cans. The brave hero is travelling across vast mountains and great plains, through beautiful forests and doing... well... great things worthy of saga's and stories.

What history tends to forget is the less interesting ones... mostly because they are more realistic. Like the one where the hero is travelling through a sunsheltered swamp, trying their best to keep their feet dry and fend off rabid attacks by oversized insects.
Seren is a few meters behind me. Her once beautiful brand new armor is now dirtied by mud that refuses to come off and soaked in sweat and swamp water. Fortunately, there's a person back in Stormhold who has the right reagents to clean it. Only problem is that Stormhold also happens to be about two days in the opposite direction.

I don't like to classify myself as a sellsword. A sellsword is usually either a mercenary or hired thug and I'm definately neither of these two. I've been fighting for the pact for the past two years and they pay well. But if the Dominion or the Covenant decided to try and invest in my services, I'd most likely say no. Someone offers work, I take it if I like it... And sometimes if I dont.

Either way, I was extremely skeptical about coming down in Deshaan on this so called roadtrip. Behind me, it's extremely clear that Seren isnt enjoying it either. The expression on her face with every step shows it. But she's a smart woman who's above idle moaning. Besides, I'd like to think that this could be a good experience for her. Learn the bad things so you can cherish the good things even more.

Either way, the pay for this job is actually going to be tremendous. Not only has our... err... 'contractor' firmly stated a good completion pay, but we are entitled to the salvaging anything useful in the current possession of the target location or person. Of course, anyone who works in my profession immediately knows that salvaging is a nice word for repossessing gold, jewellery, useful herbs and anything else that has a good sell price. Even medical supplies are in high demand in this disgusting swamp.
Officially on this job, Seren and I are acting as scouts. Our contractor is wanting us to find where the listed person is hiding with their ill gotten gains and unfriendly comrades. Apparently they stole something very important to the local people of the area any the locals need it back. I listened with interest but the realms of magicka are not something that I am very good with. Suffice to say, the job is to find the target, alert the nearby forces and steal anything of value after eliminating said target. Pretty good deal to me.

So here we are. Trudging through a green swamp looking for our target. Seren and I keep switching places as to whos in front. When I have to push a large branch out of the way, I let her go through first. She does the same for me when she's in front. If anything, I'm glad about the increase in her skills, both combat and herbalism. If for some reason I have to dissappear, I'd prefer that she could look after herself. Also, I'd like to point out that she makes a great goat stew. Seriously.

There's a rise in front of us, out of the swamp. My guess is our friend is just on the other side of it, judging by the obvious cloud of smoke pushing its way through the tops of the trees and laughter coming over the hill.

As it turns out, I was right. Our target is in the middle of the camp beside the campfire, a large number of thugs alongside him. Looks like we are getting paid for this. I like that.

I like that alot.

No comments:

Post a Comment